Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< I have a friend who pays his minor children for work performed. A CPA recently told him that the kids would be exempt for FICA and MC withholding and employer match, as well as exempt from FUTA and California SUI(Unemployment). Can anybody confirm or deny. I can't get the SSA site to give me any help at all. Wouldn't it also make sense that they would be exempt from the California State Disability Fund, as I can't imagine, being minor family members, that they would be entitled to benefits >>

Children under the age of 18 who work for their sole-proprietor parent or certain other family-controlled businesses are exempt from FICA and FUTA. You can read more about this in IRS Publication 15, a/k/a Circular E.

Sorry, but I don't know the rules for CA tax.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.