Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< I have an emerging situation where it looks like I will be paying for medical aides (home health care) for my mother-in-law, who is suffering from cancer. I am wondering if this qualifies as a deductible medical expense; or is it only deductible if she is completely dependant on me? She does not have insurance, and her husband cannnot afford to pay for an aide. >>

First the easy part: you can deduct expenses you pay for your mother-in-law only if you provide more than half her total support for the year.

Home aides can be tricky as a medical expense for anyone, because their services may or may not be deductible. You can read up on both issues in IRS Publication 502.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.