Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< I moved last year in December from California to Massachusetts. I only worked at one place in CA for 1999. I'm filing a 1040EZ, and I'd like to file it myself, since it's (cue laughter) easy.

Is there any special paperwork I need to file since I moved, or is my return address on the paperwork enough notice? Do I file in CA or MA, and if so (either way), where do I mail my return? >>

For Federal, file using your current address. You'll file in Andover, MA.

It sounds like you will be filing as a full-year resident of CA. You just file the regular resident's return with your current address.

MA may inquire down the road about why you filed a Federal return from a MA address and didn't file a MA return. If they do, you just explain it to them.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.