Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

<< I owe 9K to Uncle Sam for 1999. Out of this 9K, 3K is tax due on Roth IRA conversion
(spread over four years).

I also owe $300 tax penalty. Is it possible to claim a waiver on the tax penalty? I was goin to
request that Roth IRA conversion as the main reason for underpayment of taxes. What are the
possible reasons for which IRA would waive the penalty? >>

You may not owe a penalty. You should have had your total withholding to at least equal last year's tax (safe harbor-no penalty). If not, you had something unusual to cause the underpayment besides the Roth. If that "something" came later in the year, Marti's suggestion to do the AI schedule of Form 2210 will help. Your tax preparer, or software should offer this alternative. If not, try the quarterly tax estimater on You can figure the penalty on the 2210 AI and attach it to any prepared 1040 and change the penalty amount to correspond. Ed
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.