Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< I own a duplex in which I live on one side and rent the other side out. Can I deduct all the interest and taxes or can I depreciate any portion of the value of the duplex? >>

Yes to all. Some winds up on Schedule A and some on Schedule E.

I assume 1999 was the first year you found yourself in this situation. I'd advise you to have your 1999 return professionally prepared. Make sure the preparer gives you an itemized invoice, because the portion attributable to the rental will be a direct Schedule E deduction on your 2000 return.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.