Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< i recently started a new ira not from a conversion, i know i have to pay taxes for it up front--how do i do that? thanks for your help!:-) >>

Thanks for the clarification. I always hate replying "Huh?" <g>

Taxes have never been so easy as they are in your situation. Since Roth contributions are not deductible, they don't affect your taxable income. Thus, you don't even have to report them. In short, you do nothing on your tax return regarding the Roth contribution.

Do keep track of your contributions to your Roth IRA in case you ever take nonqualified distributions. The Forms 5498 sent to you and the IRS by the custodian are sufficient for this.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.