Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< I started traditional IRA's back in 1994. Looking back at my tax records, I realize that I should have filed form 8606 for years 1995,1996. 1997, I filled one out but not correctly. 1998 was the first time I used a professional tax preparer and they failed to file a form 8606. So what should I do at this point. >>

File an amended 8606 for 1998, using the correct prior basis, and hang on to all your records, including records of the contributions and copies of your returns for the affected years.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.