Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 124951  
Subject: Re: Spouse's IRA deductible? Date: 3/24/2000 2:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<< If my spouse made no money last year, is a contribution to a regular IRA in her name deductible? >>

A contribution to her IRA is fully deductible if your joint AGI is under $150,000.

<< In the event an IRA contribution is not deductible, which is the best course of action: non-deductible IRA, Roth IRA, or no contribution and keep money invested as is. >>

If one qualifies for Roth contributions, I think that's better than the alternatives. Earnings will never be taxed.

If one does not qualify for Roth contributions, it depends a lot on the type of investments you anticipate. If they yield a lot of current income (dividends and short-term cap gains), it's probably better to do it in an IRA. If they're LTBH, it may be better to keep them in a taxable account, where they'll only be taxed when you sell, and then at favored long-term cap gains rates.

Phil Marti
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.