Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< If someone realizes a short-term capital gain from the sale of stocks in the first 3 months of 2000, must she pay estimated taxes on that gain when she pays her usual estimated taxes in April (she's self-employed)?

Or, can she wait to pay taxes on short term cap gains until the end of the year (April 2001)? >>

She needs to include it unless she's using the prior year's tax safe harbor, in which case she can wait. You can read up on the Estimated tax requirements and the safe harbors in the FAQ.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.