Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< IIRC, the poster's original question was whether the trading costs of a Roth IRA could be paid from outside that IRA. In response, I posted a government source saying that the answer is NO, but that source is a government publication for the public's use, not a code of law. I couldn't find any mention of trading costs in section 408A. Are they there somewhere I haven't been able to find? Is it possible that Congress was not explicit about these trading costs but left it to IRS to interpret the code on the matter? >>

It's quite possible that Congress did exactly that. They love to leave things up to regulations, so they can go and campaign against the pointy-headed bureaucrats they instructed to write the regs.

Since Roth IRAs operate the same as traditional, except where they don't (that's in the first couple of subsections of IRC 408A), the place to look is IRC 408, which sets the rules for traditional IRAs. (Think treasure hunt when you're researching the Code. It helps.)

I've marked this to hunt for it later, when I have some time. I'll post the results, unless someone gets there ahead of me.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.