Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< I'm 31, I make $190k and I've been buying tech stocks for a few years (MSFTs, INTCs, CSCOs). I don't sell. Because I don't sell, I haven't seen the need for an IRA (I'm disqualified from any tax deduction -- I think). However, the speculative bug has hit me recently, so I think I'll dabble and shield my winnings from capital gains taxes. >>

Are you covered by any sort of pension plan, including 401(k)'s, at work? If not, an IRA contribution is deductible. Even if you can't make a deductible IRA contribution or participate in a Roth, you can still defer taxation on gains in the IRA unitl you retire.

<< My question is: Can I convey my $2,000 contribution to the IRA in the form of already-owned stock? Would it be considered a sale (complete with capital gains) and a subsequent purchase or would my basis in the stock be the purchase price I paid before I set up the IRA? >>

It's a change in ownership, from you to the IRA custodian for your benefit. Sorry, you'd have to recognize the gain.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.