Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< In our office if we hear of an engaged couple we have them change their w2's immediately >>

Wow, I'm glad I don't work there.

Changing your W-4 should be only done by the individual. I don't want my payroll dept making choices about my withholding without consulting me. If they want to send me a note with a suggestion or warning - fine. But automatic adjustments seems just plain wrong.
I want to make decisions on electing to take more or fewer exemptions, to elect voluntary payments, etc... The instructions on the Back of the W-4 are very clear about how to make sure that married couples do not accidentally over withold (by neither taking the extra exemptions) or under withhold (by both taking the marital exemptions) - but again, this should be a choice of the individual, not the payroll dept.

My money, my choice.

- DD

PS: the w-2 is the end-of-year statement of total wages and deductions and there is nothing the employer can do to alter this, since the information is 100% factual, not elective.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.