Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< Is there any way for my mother to avoid paying capital gains on some property she inherited from my father? It sounds like if she transferred it to me I would still be responsible for the capital gains no step up, correct? She received a step up from my father correct? >>

The facts are a little scant here, but I'll make some assumptions: your father owned the property as his separate property, it passed to your mother as an inheritance from him, and she's never lived in it. Her basis is the fair market value of the property at the time of your father's death.

If she sells the property for more than her basis, she owes tax on the gain. If she gives you the property, you get it at her basis, i.e. the value at the time of your father's death.

If the owner of the property is interested in a "like kind exchange," it's possible to trade this property for other property without immediate tax consequence. If the owner of the property is interested in living in it for 2 years before selling, then the principal residence exclusion would apply. (If the property has been rented, there would be some depreciation recapture.)

Without more information, that's about all I can come up with.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.