Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
<< just a question. (1) Do you agree with what seems to be the implication of the ABSC decision to merge --- that the biotech tool-maker "pure play" model is simply not viable (i.e., "ya gotta have pipeline, baby!")? (2) If, notwithstanding ABSC's decision, it's NOT a generally non-viable model, are there any promising candidates to fill the space created in my portfolio by the disappearance of ABSC as a tool-maker "pure play"? >>

IMHO, a pure picks and shovels play is viable. Just not a one (or three) trick pony show. Look at Waters, or Applera, or Perken-Elmer, or Invitrogen. Aurora's major assest is its assay techniques, especially the florescent ones. The HTSS system has many competitors, (PCOP, MLMN, others) and Aurora was late to the party. Ditto with large libraries of compounds to test. They HAD to do something.

I expect there to be a bidding war for Aurora, so don't sell just yet.

Another consideration is taxes. If you like the combined company, consider selling at a loss, and buying VRTX. But wait till summer, you have 6 months for due dilegence.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement