Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< Last year I began working for a company based in Georgia. I maintain a residence in California but only get to go home once every five weeks for a week. To make things more interesting my actual job sites have placed me in 15-20 different states and I have never actually worked in Georgia or visited the office there. My question is simply this "To whom do I send my state taxes?". When I was hired I was sent a Georgia witholding form and I indicated that I wanted no deductions because I expected to have no Georgia tax liability. I had just planned on having to pay California taxes, but now I'm really nervous. Was I wrong or can I start sleeping easy again? >>

You're a full-year California resident and will pay CA tax on all your income. You don't need to worry about GA just because your employer is there. It sounds like you bounced around enough not to have to worry about the states where you physically worked, but without all the details it's impossible to say for sure. I would suggest you not worry about it, but keep your detailed records of your travels should questions arise.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.