Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< My academic department paid my graduate tuition and required expenses. This is a fee remission provided for graduate student researchers and instructors in certain departments at most academic institutions. Since a student can claim a Lifetime Learning Credit for tuition payments made on his or her behalf (the example given by the IRS is from an uncle), does this qualify? >>

Only if the remission is taxable income to you. You cannot claim the credit for expenses paid through a tax-free arrangement. The uncle pays tax on his income. Your department doesn't.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.