Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< My company was sold and I was forced to convert my 401K to a rollover IRA last year. I received a 1099 form for the distribution (which I converted in kind to a rollover IRA). The initial amount of the distribution was in the neighborhood of $2900, representing my previous 401k contributions. Since it all went to an IRA in 1999, Can I claim any deduction on line 23 of IRS form 1040? >>

No. You report the rollover on line 16 of Form 1040. See the instructions for that line.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.