Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< My December capital gains push me over the AGI limit for a ROTH contribution. But we made them in early January '99. What do I have to do? Take them back? Call the broker? >>

You have until 4/17/2000 to either recharacterize the contribution and earnings as traditional IRA money or to withdraw the contribution and any earnings on it. Your custodian can handle either.

There's been a lot of discussion on people's opinions of what's best over the last couple of weeks. Check out those threads for others' thoughts, but I vote for recharacterization.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.