Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< My husband became disabled this year. He is not able to drive to work therefore I am not able to work since his is the larger income. Can I claim mileage and a small fee for taking him to work? >>

Sorry, but no. This is a nondeductible commuting expense, and there are no special provisions for the disabled.

Because of his recent disability, you should review the provisions for medical expense deductions in IRS Publication 502.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.