Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< My mother just died and left me a small amount of money. How do I find out about inheritance tax and how to plan for it. I live in IL. >>

Talk to the executor. If you're the excutor, talk to an attorney.

Also, in general, if the estate is valued at less than $675,000 (in 2000), no federal estate tax will be due UNLESS your mother used up her "unified credit" by gifting large amounts of money while she was alive. If so, she should have been filing Forms 709 (U.S. Gift (and Generation-Skipping) Tax Return) to document the gifts and her use of the available credit. (Form 709 is not required, however, for gifts of $10,000 or less made to any one person, no matter how many are given. These are excluded from gift tax.)

State laws are all different so you'd need advice from a C.P.A. or an E.A. who knows your state tax laws.

angelbuggy, E.A.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.