Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< My question is - can any consultant/contractor do this? For tax year '99, I worked at a company as a consultant, but was paid through an agency. >>

As what? If you were an employee of the agency (W-2) you can deduct legitimate business expenses on Form 2106 only if you itemize deductions on Schedule A, and only in excess of 2% of your AGI.

If you're an independent contractor (1099-MISC), you deduct your legitimate business expenses on Schedule C.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.