Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< My situation is that I traded many stocks during this year, and my account is actually a big loss. i.e. I am not holding those positions. According to what you pointed out: "I have to report those lose on my tax return, and my loss is deductible".

I don't understand what that means to me. Since I lost a big money, even I report my lose which is deductible in my tax return, it still doesn't cover all of my lose. (I invested $60K and lost $40k, which is even more than my current annual salary). So, how should I deal with such a bad situation? >>

I'm beginning to suspect that you should hire someone to do your 1999 return, although that will put you further in the hole. But there are basic tax rules you don't seem to be aware of.

1. Each of your 1999 sales is a reportable transaction on Schedule D.

2. If you were trading in and out of one stock and still maintain a position in it (or plan to acquire one soon), you have to be careful of the wash sale rules on your losses.

3. It looks like the bottom line of your Schedule D will be a sizeable loss. You can only claim $3,000 of that on your 1999 return. The balance is carried forward to 2000.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.