Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121341  
Subject: Re: the procratinationers song Date: 1/19/2000 7:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<< OK. So here it is early in the 21st century, and I haven't filed for 95-98 yet. I don't expect to owe any additional taxes for those years, but the govt certainly has a different opinion, and (justifiably) would like to see my returns. In fact, I talked to an IRS agent today who said my case is "in collection." I have a mtg scheduled with himin two weeks, when I xpect to have my returns to show him.

Q: Is a meeting with a "collections" guy the same as an audit? >>

No, it's not an audit.

First a couple of "etiquette" suggestions. It's Collection, not Collections, and he's a Revenue Officer, not a Revenue Agent. (They hate it when you get that wrong.)

I can't tell from your post whether IRS has assessed your returns based on available information, in which case you would have received bills, or whether they are still looking for you to file. (Collection handles both unfiled returns and unpaid balances.) In either case, have the returns ready by the time of your meeting and be prepared to discuss any balance that you owe. In determining any balance due, realize that any refund for 1995 was lost when you didn't file by 4/15/1999.

If the returns have been assessed, the Revenue Officer is probably going to want some substantiation that your version is correct. It's still not an audit, but legally he can pursue collection based on the assessed amount. Thus, you want to be able to convince him that your returns are correct.

Phil Marti
Retired Revenue Officer
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement