Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 15354  
Subject: Re: Trip One Date: 8/26/2012 12:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<< Pardon me coming late to this thread. ReallyAllDone struck a nerve with me when she talked about the other customers and the trip leaders questioning her "fitness" because of her physical appearance. And it sounds like others have encountered similar due to their age. I have so been there and done that. How to address and fix that? >>

Unfortunately, it sounds like the OP was unprepared and inadequately conditioned for the ride and tour. She takes responsibility for that and had a poor experience as a result of that.

How about the other people who paid for a quality tour? Usually a weak, unconditioned rider is going to impact the experiences of other people as well.

I don't find it surprising that an obviously overweight person on a poor fitting bicycle who also happened to be inexperienced in riding on dirt roads and in traffic, and inadequately conditioned for heat, humidity, altitude and endurance is going to excite some comments.

I might add to that list lack of experience in choosing a suitable tour.

It's unfortunate when people sign up for outings when they lack the experience, equipment and conditioning to do properly. I've had that happen as a trip leader, and it's burdensome for the leader and impacts what the rest of the group can do.

<<How to address and fix that?>>

First, choose trips that you have the equipment, conditioning and experience to do in good style.

The OP had a poor experience here because she lacked the experience to choose a suitable trip. Hopefully that will be remedied in the future.

Cycling outings aren't an egalitarian experience. That goes for hiking, backpacking, climbing and a lot of other outdoor activities. You need to be prepared for the activity that is planned.

Seattle Pioneer
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Burger King's Play Not For Taxes?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement