UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: NewPenny Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1498  
Subject: Re: Cost of Living Comparison Date: 2/19/2007 9:55 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
<< "I really like living in Tucson, and we have a nice balance of services, so I might be well served by staying put." >>

----------------------------------------

<<< Hi, Penny - also, if you really like living in Tucson, maybe it's worth the extra expense? Unless, you already have friends in Texas (or whatever place would be the cheapest) - is it worth moving somewhere you don't know anybody? Especially, as you get older?

There's security in having friends and acquaintances living close by, or at least within commuting distance. It can be lonely in a new place. People that care about you can help you when you need help, and you can help them if they need it. >>>

Yes, these are my thoughts as well.

When I moved here to Tucson, perhaps 10 years ago, I knew no one, had no need to make prior job plans (retired already), and just looked in the Rent magazine in my motel room to find my first place. I had a nice apartment on the first day I looked, the day after I drove into town. I have moved all over the world, and arrived most places not knowing a soul. That's never been a bother before, as I know I'll make new ones. But, this is the first time since I left home after high school that I actually felt compelled to put my local friends on the list. Previous moves were required by the AF, so having good friends here wasn't a consideration. Besides, in the AF, your friends are all being sent off, either now or in the near future, so the only way to find them again was to move along. I live in an RV community, so the same thing is pretty much true. The difference here is, I've stayed put, and many of my friends leave and return again each winter.

I now realize that that one point - friends - weighs heavy.

In San Antonio, I'd have no friends yet -- that I know of -- but I'd make new ones pretty fast. I usually do. Both cities have active AF bases, VA hospitals, so all my needs would be met.

The only compelling reason to move would be to get my debts trimmed faster due to the lower cost of living. I find this time that my large community of friends is simply more important to me than the money. I'm making good, steady progress on the debts, so the friends and my comfort in the community win.

If I were to decide that moving to save money had to out weigh my friends, it would have to be for a decidedly larger amount of savings. That was the case when I moved from near Boston, MA to Tucson. That made an enormous difference! Also, I didn't really feel connected to the Boston area, even though it was where I grew up, and most of my family lived close by. Leaving was quite easy for me. I didn't even feel bad when my family protested my moving away again. They've never lived outside their 200 mile comfort zone, and they just never understood my love of new places.

I'm close enough to the border to Mexico that it would be feasible to just drive the RV down there and live for a few years. I could return periodically for routine medical treatment, and would buy an International medical policy that would fly me back in emergencies. I've been humming about that over the last few years, too.

But, my Spanish is limited. I can find the toilet and the meal that caused the need, but nothing much else. There are many US citizens living there now, and even more vacationing each year. I like meeting people of all nationalities and loved living in other cultures to learn about the people. That was my favorite part of military service.

Bottom line, I guess I'll stay put.

For now.

Thank you all for helping me mull this over. I get the itch to move every so often. Perhaps that's a hold over from military service?

Penny
finished with her annual "is there anything better" quest
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement