Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< Say the standard deduction for 1999 is $4250. Can I simply write a check for $4250 to my favorite worthy cause, itemize my deductions, and come out the same taxwise as if I had taken the standard deduction? >>

Assuming that you don't run afoul of the limitation on charitable contributions, you probably come out better taxwise, since you may have other itemized deductions in addition to the contribution.

Of course, you come out with less money since the difference between what you contributed and what you save in taxes is gone, but to a worthy cause.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.