Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< Thanks for the info. I exercised in late 1999 so I will have to submit a NY return to get the money back. I was also told that I should submit a NY return with $0 as income and show only the taxes paid. The refund would then be for the total tax withheld. Is this the correct way to go? >>

Assuming that you had no NY taxable income, yes. You may want to check with them to see if they have a special form for this purpose. DC had one, since there was so much erroneous withholding based on employers' (usually the Federal government) erroneous assumption of residence.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.