No. of Recommendations: 0
<< That is my sister's dream, to start a blueberry farm. Have any tips for her? >>

I think my aunt and uncle started this as a fun semi-retirement project. They don't subsist solely on the farm, as far as I know. They live in rural Kansas pretty far off of the beaten path. I think the only advertisement they have is a big sign on the local highway and maybe some ads in local travel journals. They have been at this for almost 10 years or so, adding a few more plants to the farm every year. They have two prices -- one price is if you buy the berries already picked, the other is if you pick them yourself. A lot of people choose the latter and show up early in the morning ready to get a bit dirty and pick berries. My aunt and uncle really enjoy meeting the people and talking with them, more than anything.

As for starting a blueberry farm? Well, I guess your sister needs to make sure that the region of the country is suited to grow blueberries, first off. I think my uncle ordered his stocks from a mail order company. It then takes a couple of years for your plants to start maturing and producing enough fruit to sell. Add new plants as time goes on and the money comes in. Decide how large you want the farm to be.

Keep doing research, read books, surf the web, dream, etc. Maybe I should get my aunt and uncle to write about it. At least to get their recipe for blueberry wine...

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement