Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Springtex Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 51230  
Subject: Re: Cliff Lee is a Beast! Date: 10/29/2009 3:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
<<That's a World Series pitching performance for the ages.--29>>

Don't go overboard, 29. It's been done before. ESPN said Deacon Phillips of the Pirates also struck out 10 or more while walking none in the very first World Series in 1903.

And remember--Don Larsen threw a perfect game against the Dodgers in 1955. I saw it myself on TV. That was "for the ages".

If Cliff Lee gets another win in this series--and especially if he gets two more wins--he can be considered for ranking with the "for the ages" crowd. Perhaps we should compile a top ten list of great World Series pitching performances. For openers, I nominate Lew Burdette, who racked up 3 complete game wins (two of them shutouts, the other by 4-2) for the Braves against NY in 1957.

Then there was Mickey Lolich who also won 3 in 1968 for the Tigers against the Cardinals. Then Randy Johnson did it in 2001, but the third win was in relief--he only faced four batters--so he doesn't quite rank with Burdette and Lolich.

Also Grover Cleveland Alexander--they'll never make a movie about Cliff Lee.

Other nominations? How about Josh Beckett, for shutting out the Yankees in the Series finale to win it for the Fish? As great as Cliff Lee was tonight, don't you have to apply an "opening game factor" to this evaluation? Wouldn't a comparable performance in a seventh game outrank it?

/s/ S.T.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement