Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
<< There is so much to learn and I am so confused
and have other things to do besides sit around and read investment stuff. By the
way, I just put $4,000 into a Roth IRA. It had been sitting in a CD. Good
move? I have been so good at saving money but if it is not going to grow then
what is the point? Thanks for any and all help.>>

COCatFan,

But what could be better than sitting around reading investment stuff? Actually, lots, but check out some of the 13 Steps to Foolishness or other things offered around here and maybe you'll find something interesting.

To answer your questions quickly though, roll your 401k into an IRA and invest it in a low-cost passively managed index fund. They rock.

Also, yes, great thing to get that Roth started. If you're not looking to invest it in individual companies, same thing -- get it into a low-cost index fund. You've got about a 90% chance of doing worse by picking some other type of mutual fund.

Best of luck,

Bill
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement