Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<< What I failed to say is that I have not sent my tax forms yet. Do I still get to refile, even if I get more money back? >>

Let's back up. Here's what I think happened:

1. Your wife has already filed a return Married, Filing Separately.

2. You have not filed yet, and would like to file a joint return with your wife.

Assuming I'm right, you have to have your wife's agreement to file the joint return. If she's agreeable to this, check the 1040X instructions to see what to do.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.