Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
<<After 35 years, i retired (early I might add at 57). What a relief!>>

Congratulations!

<<I know we should never time the market, and foolish theory suggests continuous investment, looking for good value or growth stories out there and ignore the noise of the market is the best way to a happy ending. TMF has been good to me for sure. I have a giant list of new positions i can take from Premier Pass, and EP: but I am reluctant as much as eager. Right now I am dipping my toe into a few beaten down names and industries I am light in.>>

Ummm. I disagree with the idea that one should "never" time the market.

Personally, my investment strategy is basically one of "buy 'n hold."

However, I collect substantial dividends and get cash payoffs of stocks that are bought out and such from time to time.

Some of that I DRIP back into the market. Other cash I accumulate for a good buying opportunity, and to avoid buying in when the stock market is expensive, as it is now.

That left me with a lot of cash during the last recession to live on and to invest when stocks were cheaper afetr the market was slaughtered.

<<suffice to say, I take part in a lot of sophisticated trading: I do a lot of options trades per Options and Pro services, put spread hedging, futures, currency (Livemoney Investing Service). So I am not averse to volatility, but, seriously: jump in NOW?>>

This describes what I call GRATUITOUS RISK. As soon as you save a dollar, you HAVE to do SOMETHING with it, even if it's putting it under your mattress. And EVERYTHING involves at least some risk. So you have to take some risk with investments, and even keeping money in cash has its risks.

But I distinguish that from taking gratuitous risks, of which options trading is a prime example.

Perhaps you are among the small minority with an actual need to hedge commodities, stocks or other investments. Or perhaps you are among the small number who actually have the information and skill needed to participate in such markets wisely. But the large majority of people trading in those markets are gambling, plain and simple, and are likely to be big losers if they keep gambling with their money that way.

That's my view of the issues you raise. Of course your own investing style is up to you.

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement