Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
<<Am I out of luck with Roth IRAs too, as long as my earned income is entirely exempt? I'd like to move some investment income into an IRA if possible, and since I've already paid tax on the income one might logically conclude that it would be eligible as a non-deductible IRA contribution (up to $2000 - at least that part is crystal clear).>>

As you note, foreign earned income, eligible for the foreign earned income exclusion is not defined as "compensation" for IRA purposes. And the Roth IRA uses the same definition for compensation as the "normal" IRA. That being the case, it would appear to me that you would NOT qualify for the Roth IRA with your exempt foreign earned income.

Sorry about that...but think of all of the tax dollars that you are saving right now. That may take some of the sting out of this issue for you.

TMF Taxes
Roy Lewis

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.