UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: sfcorb One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2818  
Subject: Re: MBA Degree- Right path...? Date: 10/19/2000 8:03 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
<<Are MBA's destined to be highly educated paper pushers? Perhaps the question is more correctly, how can MBA's avoid becoming highly paid paper pushers, and how does one get to the point of making real decisions?>>

I would say that only a small minority (though maybe I'm just an optimist) of MBA become paper pushers. From what I have observed those who join large companies for long periods of time and become complacent in their job/company/industry largely end up becoming the dreaded paper pusher. Of the MBA's who I'm closely acquainted with few even join large corporations (IMHO the home of the paper pushers). Some of the more popular career paths company out of MBA programs, at least in this area, are investment banking, management consulting, accountants (largely CPA's), ect. A way to avoid ever becoming a paper pusher would be to join a small company. I have been involved in a couple of start-up, and I can assure you that you'll find no paper pushers there. I guess that I would most directly and simply answer this question by saying those who actively manage their career in a way to avoid boring work can easily do so, however many people fall into the lure of a high paying, low work, position that many others would consider paper pushing.

<<They also had some good things to say about knowing where you're going with it before jumpping in- which is the state of my explorations currently. The big thing I've been seeing is focused MBA's, such as IT Management, eCommerce, International Business. I need to figure out my interests more before even considering any of these...>>

I would have to disagree with needing to know exactly what you want to do before starting an MBA. When I started my program I wasn't sure specifically what I wanted to do, but after taking the first half of the classes (none of which where concentration specific) I found the area that interested me most, so I decided to concentrate in Financial Information Management. This of course is a very specialize area of study, but I found it as a result of taking many classes across disciplines and discovered that I prefer finance and IT. I definitely wouldn't enroll in a program if I wasn't confident that I wanted to pursue a career in some area of business and that I could find something that I liked after taking classes in many different areas in the first year. However, and MBA is just a Master's in Business Administration, thus is generally designed to be a very broad degree. I believe that many people feel a concentration in necessary to get the most out of the education, as previously noted, as the introduction level classes are both easy and boring. I would say only about half of the MBA I know have a concentration, but those that do tend to get more out of there education.

I hope I addressed your questions directly enough. I do think both questions have more to do with personality and personal goals more than a specific degree though. Avoiding becoming a paper pusher has much more to do with career management and pursuing a job that you'd enjoy more than obtaining specific degree. Likewise finding the discipline that you'd like to focus in certainly doesn't have to be done before you start a degree, but you have to know yourself well enough to find something that you like within a year or so.

Sam

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement