UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59084  
Subject: Re: Sounds To Me Like... Date: 12/1/2008 1:36 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<<“As a kid I dreamed about cars,” he said. “The business has changed and the cars have changed, and it’s been fun to be part of that.”

But he said he saw more trouble ahead.

“At this point, I see no light at the end of the tunnel,” he said, closing his eyes for a moment to think. “I only see it getting worse. Any bailout to Detroit will take a while to get to Main Street.”

>>

A sad story.

My grandfather was partner in a Ford dealership until he went bankrupt in 1936, run dry of cash by the depresseion and the opening of a bridge which bypassed traffic away from his business.

I have pictures of summer picnics with all the employees that look like the good days described in this article, probably dating from the 1920s.

My grandfather was originally an accountant with a bank. After the closure of the dealership he took a job as an accountant with the unemployment office --- a growth industry at the time, I suppose.

He was killed in 1949 when the old car he was driving, a legacy of his dealership days, stalled when he was coming out froma stop sign and he was t-boned.

Seattle Pioneer
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Is the Market Overvalued?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement