Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
<<As an individual, you can do little to 'screw her credit score up', other than getting a judgement against her, and making sure that the judgement is reported on her credit report. Getting a judgement would require that you sue her in Seattle. So you would probably have to hire an attorney. Some attorneys specialize in collections.

In Washington State, you would need to sue the person and get a judgement. If the judgement remains unpaid after thirty days, you can get it "certified," (I think that's the term) as being unpaid. Credit reporting agencies routinely pick up certfied judgements and it will be reported in the person's credit report.

I've done that through small claims court, but that's not an option for you unless you show up in court in Washington State. So that leaves you hiring an attorney, which woiuld be expensive.

I used to use an outfit called "Lablord Tenant Services" which specialized in enforcing leases and evcicting tenants, and worked with law firms as needed to accomplish it's purposes. Unfortunately, they are no longer listed in the phone directory.

Your best bet would be shopping around for a collection agency to collect this debt. In exchange for 40% or so of what's collected, they will harass and threaten the former tenant in ways that are illegal, and if they don't pay they can no doubt refer the debt for an attorney of theirs to collect in as an effcient and inexpensive manner as possible.

So I'd shoip around for a collection agency, of which there are many. Sorry, I don't have any recommendations.

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.