Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (237) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 22679  
Subject: Re: Homosexual Intolerence Date: 11/15/2006 9:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<<But I do agree that C-14 dating is reasonably accurate, and I have no problem reconciling that with the creation of the universe. If the universe was created 5767 (plus 7 days of indeterminate length) years ago, then it was created with the traces of C14 that we observe today. That must be the case, since otherwise, where did the C14 come from?>>

It all depends on how you view "7 [actually 6] days of indeterminate length". If you take indeterminate length to possibly mean about 2 billion current years per "day", and the biblical description of the creation as being a somewhat metaphorical and very brief summary, then the issue of how much C14 there was sequestered in various objects becomes moot. All you're doing is redefining the yardstick of time for the first 12 billion years of the universe's existence.

I don't think it is "redefining" at all, it is simply reconciling.

If you're saying that god created the universe in a much shorter time and planted evidence in carbon deposits of various kinds, to make it appear to 20th century scientists AS IF the world has existed longer than it has, then we have a disagreement.

A man is talking to God.

The man: "God, how long is a million years?"

God: "To me, it's about a minute."

The man: "God, how much is a million dollars?"

God: "To me it's a penny."

The man: "God, may I have a penny?"

God: "Wait a minute."

<<That must be the case, since otherwise, where did the C14 come from?>>

Perhaps you need a quick course in nuclear reactions. All the atoms in the early universe were hydrogen. Larger atoms all evolved from nuclear fusion, creating heavier and heavier atoms within the fiery bellies of stars and galaxies. Certain lighter elements get fused into C14 and various other elements. Some of the elements are more stable than others. C14 is somewhat unstable, resulting in its gradual decay into C12, emitting two neutrons in the process. The sequence of fusion - which elements fuse into which heavier elements, and decay - which elements decay, at what rate, into which other elements, is well known. C14 is not a unique example in this process.

Perhaps stated more simply - where then did the hydrogen come from, and where then did the initial push towards the fusion reactions come from? And further down, where did those protons and neutrons come from?

That God used (and uses) nuclear fusion in the "fiery bellies of stars" (for creation and otherwise) is not at all farfetched.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (237) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Burger King's Play Not For Taxes?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement