Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<But non-resident aliens are generally taxed only on income from sources within the US. Interest and dividends from US companies are generally considered to be from US sources. And income from US sources that is not effectively connected with a trade or business in the US is taxed at a flat rate of 30% (or a lower tax treaty rate). The good news is that your capital gains on the sale of the shares would not necessarily be considered income from a US source.>>

Could you amplify on when a capital gain from sale of a US company stock would/
would not be considered income from a US source?


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.