Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: dls12 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121114  
Subject: Re: ISO + Roth/Ed IRA Date: 3/11/1999 11:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

<<But there are specific rules that you must follow to determine the FMV of the shares when they are NOT publicly traded. So make sure that you follow the rules. You can read more about those rules in IRS Publication 550. >>

Spoke to management today, and the $1.50 is a 'defensible' FMV. That's what they said the auditors said.

<<Remember also that if your options are REALLY ISOs, and not NQ options, there is no tax event (for regular tax purposes) when your exercise...but there very well MAY be alternative minimum tax issues that you have to deal with.>>

Right. Got that today as well. The only taxable event is when the shares are sold.

What are the alternative minimum tax issues you speak of?

<<How do you figure tax free? When you sell the shares, your monster gain will be taxed. Period.>>

I'm confused. I thought any gains made within a Roth IRA are tax-free? If I were to sell my mutual fund for a *nominal gain*, and then use that cash to buy say bonds, would I be taxed?

I am using the above logic but change the mutual fund to stock (which come from exercising the options), and change the nominal gain, to monster gain. What is the difference as far as Uncle Sam is concernced?

Also, it seems all of this is subject to the following time lines: the gain will be taxed as ordinary income unless it has been two years from the date of the options AND I have owned the shares for one year.

<<[[ Oh, I'd also like put/sell this stock into my wife's Roth and daughter's Educational IRA.]]

Can't do it.>>

Right. But for a different reason. Even when the options are excercised, the shares are non-transferrable (barring death) while the company is privately held.

<< Roth and Ed IRA contributions MUST be made in cash...not in stock. >>

hmmmmm.....but what if I put 2'gs of cash in my Roth, and then use that cash to exercise my options. Wouldn't that work?

BTW - thanks for the perspective.

dls12
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement