Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<Can anyone fill in the blanks?

I have looked at Amazon, B&N, even called my local bookstore. I cannot seem to find a book like
this. All I have been able to find are CPA texts - for $150.

We donate a fair amount of stuff and really haven't bothered with deducting it. Would like to start
doing so!>>

Well, I certainly can't fill in the blanks for CERTAIN. You might want to check back with the newspaper/publication to see the article again. You local library might have back issues.

But I CAN tell you what I use, and what I believe that IRS may use in certain circumstances: Client Valuation Services.

William R. Lewis (no relation - DRAT!!), the founder of CVS is an accountant who has complied a database listing FMVs for thousands of items commonly given to charity. Mr. Lewis claims to provide documentation supporting his valuations should you get audited on this issue.

Previously, this information was only available in book form, but is now available on line for a $15 fee. It might pay for itself easily, especially if you make large "in-kind" charitable contributions. Point your web browser to:

Hope this helps...
TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.