Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 125003  
Subject: Re: Overseas investors Date: 9/25/1997 10:20 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<<Could you amplify on when a capital gain from sale of a US company stock would/
would not be considered income from a US source?>>

Almost always, Richard.

Stock ownership is treated as an "intangable", in that any gain does not really have a source. So as a non-resident alien, capital gains from the sale of US companies shares would generally not be taxable for US purposes, and there would be no mandatory withholding. BUT you would certainly have to deal with the gain on the sale with your HOME country and their tax collection agency.

For additional information, check out IRS Publciations 519 and 901. You can get these publications by calling IRS at 1-800-TAX FORM, or by pointing your web browser at where you can read or download these publications.

TMF Taxes
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.