UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308232  
Subject: Re: mile Date: 6/17/1997 6:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<<Don't change your rent on the card thinking that you will accumulate miles to fly. It's not the way to go. Unless you plan to pay off your card every month, you will likely pay the minimum amount and next thing you know, your balance will come back and bite you. It's easier said than done when someone says he or she will pay the balance off every month.
If you charge your card just to get the 'free trip', you'll be better off buying the lowest price ticket. I am a flight attendant for Delta and have seen so many people spend thousands of dollars and they showed me their 'free' tickets! They are not free, do you have any idea how much money you have to spend to get a free trip? A lowest price ticket may cost you only $300 - $400. But if you charge $20,000 (or more!) to get that free ticket, you will likely be paying thousands in interest. Someone will tell
you that if you 'have to' spend that amount anyway, why not get a free ticket out of it. I say that nobody has to 'spend' any kind of money at all. Don't charge your rent on the cards and hope to get a free ticket, just save $300 and pay for the lowest price ticket to go to see your folks. For those who will tell you to charge your card, are they going to be there helping you pay for it?>>

T.J.,
First of all let me commend you on the job I'm sure you do! I've flown Delta many times, and the flight attendants are awesome. Simply awesome. The job you do is so hard, and you folks deserve so much more credit than you get. Keep up the good work!

Now, I just need to clear up one point. Your argument is very, very valid--for people that do not pay their balance each month. But...

The discussion taking place has been with the understanding that the balance IS paid each month. It's true that not everyone is able to manage their finances this way, but for those that do, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the perks.

Here's my point: (Again, NEVER leaving a balance), there are people who will buy certain items on a regular basis. They shop. They buy their stuff either with cash or check. For these people that already have the money on hand, I say, charge the "stuff", get the miles (or whatever), and pay that dang balance when the bill comes. It all comes out even in the end, 'cept ya git stuff. ; )

That's it. Plain and simple. And if anyone isn't 100%, absolutely, positively, without a doubt certain that that balance can be paid in full....disregard the whole idea.

Tony
TMF2Aruba
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement