No. of Recommendations: 6
<<Finally, let me further rain on the parade by reminding you that, thanks to the slowly increasing effect of populist-leftist politics in this country, your taxes are only going to go up. I think that early retirees will be a particularly juicy target for the class-warfare attack being perfected by Clinton/Gore/Gephart-type politicians. You can bet that at the very least these guys are drooling over the trillions of dollars in retirement accounts and are losing sleep try to scheme ways to get at it. I suspect that they will eventually figure out a way to tax at least some of it. So, I would count on an increasing tax burden which will take more and more of your 4% yearly draw or whatever amount you plan to withdraw each year. Social Security? I wouldn't plan on seeing much of it come your way if you can afford to live without it.
>>

My hope is that taking Social Security benefits away from people who don't need them will stabilize the failing Social Security system and do away with the need for further tax increases of the kind you describe. Of course, there's always the Medicare system which is in lots worse shape --- so I wouldn't be too surprised if you are proved right.

As to the basic premise of your post --- that the 4% safe withdrawal level isn't sustainable -- I have my own unproven systems that I am happy with. I plan to continue to pick some of the low hanging fruit by continueing my repair service indefinitely, but my aim is going to be to keep that work load down to what I'm really happy doing.

That leaves me the freedom to reevaluate what I'm doing and make changes that seem to be indicated for many years to come. That flexibility gives me confidence in looking at the future without being dependent on anyone's theories ---not even my own.

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement