Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ULT1MATE Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121572  
Subject: Re: NY Company VA Taxes Date: 6/29/2004 12:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<<First, you and your wife are residents of Virginia. She is working in Virginia. She should not be paying NY taxes at all. Her company's Payroll Dept. needs to be contacted to correct this error. In any event, when you file taxes, you will file a NY return, stating you were never a resident of that state. When you file VA taxes, you will file a resident return for the entire year, and will take the amount of NY taxes paid as a credit.

However, I would strongly suggest that the company get its act together.

Donna >>

First off, THANKS to all of you who have given me some advice on this subject. Here are a couple of points for inclusion (one we just found out about):

1. When my wife asked about this of the company, they gave her the old "we aren't set up to take out VA taxes, so we take out NY instead".

2. I agree that they need to get their act together, but the paycheck is good enough not to rock the boat too much.

3. A newly hired co-worker of my wife is in the exact same situation (on-site consultant in living and working in VA employed in New York). Her accounting counsel, father with CPA, told her to have the company stop taking out NY taxes. She argued with the HR department and won. This validates one of the later posts.

So, our next step is to have them cease and desist taking state taxes out of her paycheck and start paying estimated VA taxes?

I'll pick up some other to-do's from later posts.

Thanks again.

Ulti.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement