Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<Here is my situation. My mother passed away in 1998.>>

Sorry to hear that. My condolonces.

<< he house was in probabate for most of 1999, as the sole heir it was obvious the house would go to me. During most of 1999, before the house was sold in November, I paid the mortgage payments on that house. My main question is: Can I deduct the interest on my 1999 tax return?>>

Likely yes...but not as "home mortgage". Your interest deduction will most likely be that of "investment interest expense".

You can read more about the investment interest expense deduction in the Taxes FAQ area.

A more proper way to handle this issue would have been through a trust return that administered mom's assets during the period of probate. Then any and all of the appropriate income and expense deductions would have been "passed through" to you to be included in your personal income tax return. But it looks like it didn't happen that way.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.