UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: GeekFoolBoy One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76384  
Subject: Re: What to do with my 401(k)... Date: 7/1/1998 4:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<<Hmmm….something weird is going on with the board. Had I not just made two posts that got buried because they were dated "6/1/98", I would have skipped yours even though it's new because it carries the same erroneous date. >>

Glad you caught it. I noticed it after I posted, but didn't know if I had messed up the post in some way...

<<Option 4 is not available. You cannot transfer money to a Roth IRA from a qualfied retirement plan like a 401k.>>

Thanks for the response. Actually, I kind of concatenated this choice. I had planned to move the money to a traditional IRA and then immediately convert it. Fidelity told me this is becoming more common every day. I'm running the numbers now to see if the Roth is an improvement over the traditional IRA for my situation. I'm also checking out a number of discount brokerages to see who I like best. Not an insignificant task...

<<At your age, we would strongly suggest the use of stocks or an S&P500 index fund>>

My thinking exactly - this is why I want an IRA over another 401(k) (my new company *does* allow rollovers into their plan, but the investment vehicles stink). I'm currently planning on putting half of the 24K into an index fund and the other half into stocks - likely the foolish 4.

Thanks again.

GeekFoolBoy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement