Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<How is the holding period calculated for a new share resulting from a stock split? Does it have to age 18 months to qualify as a long term capital gain/loss?>>

The tax law quite sensibly assigns to the new shares the same holding period as the old shares.

BTW, the holding period for long-term capital gain or loss is still 12 months (actually 12 months plus one day). The difference under the new law is that you may qualify for a better rate if you hold for more than 18 months.

KAT in Chicagoland
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.