Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<I am a foreign investor in the US. I would like to open an investment account here, but I am concerned about taxes. Does anybody know what the US tax law says in my case? Does the broker withold the taxes?>>

Generally speaking, if you are both a non-US resident and a non-US citizen, you'll pay taxes (via withholding at the source) on interest and dividends that you receive. You'll generally not pay any US taxes on capital gains that you realize.

You should really read more about this in IRS Publication 519 and 901 at the IRS web site (

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.