Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<I am being told that I cannot get 2 Federal Pensions without an offset - I want to collect while I am working>>

If the current law is changed (and it's almost a sure thing it will), you should be able to do this. Government offsets on your own retirement or as a spouse/widow are not effective until you are IN RECEIPT of the government pension. So, if you continue to work and DO NOT receive any government pension AND are 65 or older, you should be able to receive your full SS benefits; either retirement, widows, spouses, whatever.

As soon as you stop work and begin receiving your government pensions, all offsets to your SS check(s) will begin. Just remember, your SS check won't decrease automatically and you could end up overpaid on SS for the first month or two that you get your gov't pension.
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.