Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<I am neither a citizen nor a resident of the United States. If I invest in the States it will be be with money earned elsewhere. Am I subject to Federal Income Tax?>>

You'll generally be subject to tax on interest and dividends earned. You'll generally not be subject to capital gains on the sale of appreciated stock.

You'll likely NOT be required to file a US non-resident tax return if your only income is from interest and dividends, since a flat 30% (or lower tax treaty rate) will be withheld directly from the interest or dividends.

For additional information on this subject, check out IRS Publication 519 at the IRS web site.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.